John Baird, Head of School
The View from my Window:
Reflections from the Head of School
Welcome. We’re so glad you’re here and considering what a Westtown education might mean for you and your family, your child’s school years, and the shape of his life to come.
Choosing a school is no small decision, and it begins with some big questions.
- Where will your child be known—and know herself?
- Where will he find joy in life and learning—and bring it out in others?
- Where will she learn to solve problems adeptly—and with creative independence?
- Where will he learn to meet conflict with confidence—and open-minded grace?
- Where will she begin to make a good life for herself—and make a better world around her?
We consider these questions for every student, because we want our graduates to meet every challenge and reward life has to offer with well-earned confidence. We want to prepare them for world-changing lives. Through the course of more than two centuries, Westtown has continued to discover that preparation for a world-changing life requires more than a keen mind alone. It also requires an intelligent heart and the conscience to act.
Westtown students graduate with impressive knowledge, with faith in themselves, and with a commitment to use what they have learned to make a difference for others.
We believe that school can both nurture students and prepare them, not only to meet day-to-day challenges, but also to change the world. What it takes is a vision of human excellence and a community of faculty, staff, and parents who are committed to this kind of life-size education.
This is Westtown. I encourage you to explore further, and if this sounds like the kind of education that
fits you and your family, I hope we’ll be talking with you soon.