At Westtown Lower School, even the smallest children learn that their questions, ideas, and experiences are worthwhile. They learn that we all affect each other and that wonder and learning—and meaningful living—go happily hand-in-hand.
Our program is a rich one:
- Reading and writing are emphasized, with daily workshops at all grade levels modeled on the highly regarded Reading and Writing Project of Teachers College, Columbia University.
- We use the Singapore Math curriculum through which children become keenly motivated to discover practical solutions to problems, advancing in reasoning and analysis to become real mathematical thinkers.
- Science and social studies are inquiry-based, hands-on, collaborative, and full of experiential learning.
- Art, Spanish, technology, music, physical education, play and service: all are woven throughout the Lower School program and are integrated into the curriculum.
- We take many field trips to outside resources. Westtown’s glorious campus is one of our best teaching tools, offering opportunities to explore everything from a frog pond to historic archives.
Among Westtown’s many wonderful gifts to our children is the realization that, truly, wonders never cease. The door to learning stays open forever—because there’s always something more to wonder about.