Our residential program develops students who are exceptionally well-prepared for college. Our alumni attest to the transformational aspects of living on dorm, and to the preparedness they felt upon entering college. Colleges know this as well. Westtown students are known for their readiness to live away from home, their academic preparedness, their established study skills, and their leadership abilities.
It doesn’t happen by accident; kids don’t just live here, they take part in an intentional residential curriculum. It is designed to cultivate effective study skills, build healthy relationships and conflict resolution, foster acceptance and independence, and prepare students for living in a diverse and inter-connected world. It makes boarding a truly transformational experience.
We have over 200 years of experience providing an exemplary residential experience for students, and we know that there is no better way to learn and grow. Here's why:
- Outstanding and authentic preparation for college and life beyond school
- Living in a diverse community with students from around the block and around the world, and with students of many ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds; learning to value difference
- Learning independence, decision-making skills and self-sufficiency in a safe, supervised environment - we call it "supervised independence"; 100% of surveyed alumni say that they were better prepared for dorm life than their peers
- Honing excellent study habits gained in mandatory evening study halls – 96% of our alumni who boarded say that they were better prepared for college than their peers
- Supportive, attentive adults 24/7
- A robust selection of weekend activities
- 9 out of 10 of our alumni complete college in 4 years at one school (in comparison to the national average of 56 percent in 6 years) - and they tell us their residential experience was a key element
Westtown’s residential community is guided by the essential Quaker calling to honor that of God in each of us. Within a richly diverse mix of students and adults, the Residential Program fosters stewardship, accountability, and integrity while challenging students to discover, share, and develop their individual and collective identities.
~Westtown’s Residential Life Mission Statement