What is a Concussion
A concussion is a brain injury that:
- Is caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or body.
- Can change the way a student’s brain normally works.
- Can occur during Practices and/or Contests in any sport.
- Can happen even if a student has not lost consciousness.
- Can be serious even if a student has just been “dinged” or “had their bell rung.”
All concussions are serious. A concussion can affect a student’s ability to do schoolwork and other activities (such as playing video games, working on a computer, studying, driving, or exercising). Most students with a concussion get better, but it is important to give the concussed student’s brain time to heal.