With 68% of our Upper School students boarding and 17% of those students being international students, the Westtown Host Family Program is an important element of our community. Host families at Westtown offer some home hospitality for boarders from afar and give the students an experience not just of American family life, but of the Westtown community as well.
In addition to the benefits to students who come from afar – including from around the world, hosting a student can be a life-changing experience for host families. The relationship allows families the opportunity to get to know another culture, foster authentic relationships and bonds, and even learn a new language. Just as each of our students is unique, so are the relationships that are the result of participating in the Westtown Host Family Program. Our host families share that they enjoy the experience very much, and many report that the relationships they built with their host students continue long past their graduation!
- What is the time commitment?
- Do host families house the student?
- What if we are not always home for the holidays — can we still be a host family?
- Do we need to be fluent in the language of our host student?
- Can we take our host student with us on family trips? (Day or overnight)
- What don’t host families do?
- Do host families meet students’ parents?
- What do host students expect of their host families?