You're invited to meet prospective parents and students from diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds from more than 100 independent schools, charter schools, and community based organizations.
For more than 300 years, Friends schools have been recognized for outstanding college preparatory academics and are known for embracing the diversity of cultures and religions in their communities.
The purpose of the conference and college fair, a tradition at Westtown since 2005, is to:
- Educate families of color about the aspects of the college planning and admission process that apply specifically to them.
- Expose families to a wider range of colleges and universities.
- Provide a networking and relationship-building opportunity for students and admissions professionals.
- Reduce the social isolation experienced by students of color at predominately white institutions.
- Provide parents with valuable financial aid and planning information.
- Lift up Friends schools as a rich source of multicultural diversity.
Key Information for Students/Parents, College Admissions Professionals, School and CBO Counselors and Diversity Directors:
- When: October 21st, 2017
- Host: Westtown School, 975 Westtown Road, West Chester, PA 19382
- Location: Twenty-five miles west of Philadelphia, fifteen miles north of Wilmington
- Invited: Students and parents from diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds from more than 100 independent schools, charter schools, and community based organizations.
- Directions: click here.
- Cost: Students and Parents: $10/person includes lunch; Westtown Families: no charge
School / CBO Personnel: no charge
- Local Accommodations: click here.
- Contacts: Jay Farrow (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Susan Tree (email@example.com)
|8:00am||Early Bird Registration opens|
|8:50 - 9:50am||Conference Workshop: Early Bird Session|
|9:00am||Registration opens at 9:00 and continues throughout the day|
|10:00am - 11:00am||Conference Workshop: Session #1|
|11:10am - 12:10pm||Conference Workshop: Session #2|
|11:30am - 1:10pm||Lunch (provided by Westtown School)|
|1:10 pm - 2:40pm||Conference Assembly: Keynote Speaker followed by a panel discussion with leaders in the admissions profession and Q & A|
|2:45 pm- 5:00pm||College Fair in the Westtown School Field House|
- Early College Planning: 9-11th Grades
- The Junior and Senior Years: A Timetable for Success
- Campus Visits and Interviews
- Why Consider Historically Black Colleges and Universities?
- The Application Process: forms, essays, supplements
- Special Talents: Sports, Performing Arts, Leadership, and Service
- Checking the Box: Identification of Race and Ethnicity
- Paying For College: Financial Aid and Scholarships
College Registration is CLOSED.
Students & Parents: Registration will be on-site Sat., Oct. 21, 2017