Westtown Science Institute
Inspiration, Investigation, Innovation
When we're young, our impulse is to create and to wonder. Our imaginations and curiosity guide us through a mysterious world, and we learn by doing and by making.
The Westtown Science Institute (WSI) is designed to give students in all three divisions the chance to reconnect with that way of being in the world, with focus on collaborative learning and design thinking.The WSI will offer a whole host of programs including:
- A summer science camp for lower and middle school students from Westtown and other schools
- A series of "Makeapalooza" days where students across the school will prototype, design and create
- Courses for lower and middle school students in environmental and engineering tracks
- Lab intensive and inquiry-driven for-credit and enrichment summer courses designed for upper school students from Westtown and other schools
The WSI also aspires to become a national leader in 21st century science education, offering programs in
- science teacher/professional training
- K-12 enrichment
- academic coursework and research
- an array of community education outreach initiatives.
The WSI will be housed in the newly-renovated and expanded Westtown Science Center. It will create collaborative partnerships with science industry corporations, professional organizations, universities, local community development programs, the Westtown alumni network and innovative thought-leaders in STEM fields to offer a rich and energizing 21st century culture in which to grow.