The Physical Education curriculum in Lower School offers the opportunity for our students to be active, have fun, and develop fundamental skills that lead to a healthy and physically active life. Our teachers provide experiences that will develop the students’ physical well-being and help their emotional, mental, and social growth. The program fosters the development of a healthy fitness level, cooperative play, a general concern and respect for others.
In addition to games and creative play, our students are introduced to a variety of sports and basic skills. Upper School Varsity Programs often offer clinics and skill development sessions that establish meaningful connections with older student athletes.
Some highlights of Lower School P.E. are:
- Concentration on team building — collaboration, cooperation, problem- solving, teamwork — throughout the year
- Introduction to new and interesting lifelong fitness activities and sports
- Work with Middle and Upper School coaches from different sports (wrestling, lacrosse, baseball, field hockey, basketball)
- Interscholastic sport introduction
- Skill and strategy work with Upper School coaches
- Winter Olympics unit
- Fitness center introduction for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders
- Spirit Day!
- 5th Grade Health class