Innovative teaching and real-world applications are essential elements in engaging students in the study of mathematics.
Through the course of the Upper School math program, students are exposed to many different ways of defining and framing problems, as well as solving them. Collaborative work, in-depth exploratory projects, and emphasis on critical thinking skills pervade our curriculum as we continually seek creative ways to help all students learn. Throughout all courses, technology is used to enhance learning and is balanced with maintaining a rigorous grounding in communicating clear, analytical mathematics.
Students will experience the following essential core experiences in the math curriculum:
- In-depth exploratory projects that apply math to everyday problems
- Analysis of data, graphic representation, and experiences creating mathematical models for the systems of generating data
- Exceptional rigor and challenge for the most advanced math students; including participation in AMC
- Emphasis on abstract reasoning skills and problem-solving skills
- Development of analytical skills through identifying mathematical questions, generalizing from particular examples and using abstract reasoning