1799 - OPENING

The first students arrived in May 1799 – 20 boys and 20 girls, with more admitted monthly until there were about 200 in all. The school “family” lived and learned in this building designed by Philadelphia architect (and Quaker) David Evans, built with bricks made from clay on the farm. This watercolor, attributed to Abiah Baily, was drawn in 1803 or 1804.